There are hundreds of reasons that Gigi and I love our time together at the library. I get genuinely thrilled to watch how giddy and excited she becomes when I tell her it is library day. To have a child who adores time at the library means I’ve done everything right in raising the kid! We try and go at least once a week. Here are some of the things we love.
- Gigi has free choice of three DVDs each time we go. As long as she remains in the children’s section, I let her check out absolutely anything she wants, no matter how many times we have watched it before.
- Gigi particularly loves the bathroom in the kid’s section. The toilets, sink, mirror, and soap dispenser are all tiny and on her level. The staff keeps it immaculately clean. My kid feel absolutely in her element when she stands at that sink washing her hands and can look right into the mirror an see her own smile, all without standing on tip toe.
- I like the uninterrupted computer time. Sometimes I go ahead and sign onto one of the computers, as long as there is one available with a good line of sight to the kid’s section. It’s some of the only time nobody bothers me as I check my mail, or write a blog post, or browse eBay.
- I love reserving books. I’m in a time of my life where not much is done for me. I do most everything for myself, on my own, alone. It’s a small luxury to walk in and know that someone else has hunted down the book I wanted and tagged it for me.
- We love the free programs the library sponsors, from children’s tea parties with a professional ballerina, to quilting demonstrations, author talks and even a meet and greet with Davy Jones from the Monkees. We take advantage of as many programs as possible.
- Books! One should not forget the books. When I was married, I allowed myself to take on my ex’s habit of buying new books every time I wanted to read something. I am a voracious reader and before long, I had thousands of books. The money spent was one thing, but the space it took was disgusting. I ended up donating many to the library and now 99% of the time, I just check out what I want to read.
I could go on and on, but that should give you a small taste of why we love out local library.